Saturday, July 16, 2005

More About Change

If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. (Steve Jobs)

Well, I have just two more weeks left in my current job at HP. I have been working at this specific job for about 3-1/2 years now, so I've settled in pretty comfortably. It seems to me that just about the time I get comfortable with something, God decides to shake the sheets a little bit.

It dawned on me the other day (and this may sound stupid) that my job will be over in 2 weeks. I won't be doing what I am doing now for HP anymore. It saddened me a little, because I've put a lot of hard work and creativity into my job. But at the same time, I recognize that nothing lasts forever, especially when it comes to computer, online, website-related stuff.

I am excited now because I took some time to look into the opportunities and benefits that may be available to me once I am laid off. There is lots and lots of help in the local community, and with the state and federal government agencies, relating to displaced workers.

My biggest dilema now is, what to do with the remaining 15-20 years of my working life? I have thought of a wide variety of options, so far. In the brainstorming stage that I'm in, nothing is too far-fetched to pass off right now.

On another level, I have been battling my third stomach hernia in about 5 years. I had surgery for the first two, and each time the hernia has come back worse than before. It looks like surgery again for me. I am trying to loose weight, and hope to drop 30 or 40 pounds so that I can reduce the possiblity of reoccurance.

I also have a painful area in my left breast which the doctor has scheduled an ultrasound for. It began about 3 months ago and has not gotten any better. Not sure what's going on there. When I called for the ultrasound appointment, the nurse asked me if I had had a mammogram. Oh boy, what a thing for a man to have to do! Maybe now I'll have some compassion when my wife complains about the procedure.

I read a very interesting article the other day about a commencement address that was given by Steve Jobs at Stanford University. One notable quote that he attributed to someone else was: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right."

It reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines from "What About Bob" starring Bill Murray. The psychiatrist's son is a bit of a morbid, gothic kid and says: "You're going to die, I'm going to die, we're all going to die." There's nothing we can do about it."

Have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home