Tuesday, February 20, 2007

New Career

I started my new career on January 8th, 2007.

I was hired by Samaritan Health Services to work at Samaritan Albany General Hospital, in Albany, Oregon. My new job is Unit Aid/Unit Secretary in the Critical Care Unit (CCU). There are 8 beds in CCU, and we care for patients who are on ventilators, and those who have serious illnesses and injuries.

I spent the first four weeks training with a really great gal, Debbie, and she taught me how to keep the patient's rooms stocked with supplies, how to enter orders in the computer, and keep things in order and prepared for the nurses and doctors.

I love this job. It's one of the most demanding jobs physically, since I am on my feet most of the 12-hour shift, and it's also demanding emotionally because of the condition that many of the patients are in while they're there.

My regular shift is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, from 0700 - 1930, so I have four days off each week, and get regular full-time benefits working there. I work with a bunch of great nurses and doctors, and other professionals (respiratory therapists, physical therapists, nutritionists, housekeepers, phlebotomists, rad-techs, etc, etc).

What a blessing to be able to care for people when they are in need! More to come later . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home