Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's About Time

Well friends, several of you have wondered (out loud and by email) what's been happening with us lately, so here are some highlights:

I went for a motorcycle ride to the coast yesterday after work. I was thinking, "what can I do this afternoon?" and it was nice enough out, so I thought, "I'll go for a ride to the coast and have some sushi."

Sixteen years ago, when Jane and I were contemplating the move to Oregon, we jokingly said that we would only move to Corvallis if there was a sushi restaurant within 50 miles. Well, at the time there were no sushi restaurants in Corvallis. We drove over to the coast one day while doing a look-see trip and stumbled upon the Japanese restaurant at Seal Rock called "Yuzen."

We were pleasantly surprised by the high-quality food, so we decided maybe Corvallis wouldn't be too bad a place to live, despite the fact that the Yuzen restaurant was a little over 62 miles away. But I digress.

By the time I got to the coast yesterday, it was about 6:00pm and the sun was going down. It was already cold, and my hands were freezing despite wearing my winter riding gloves. I had on my leather jacket and overpants too, along with a fleece skull cap under my full-face helmet. So I ordered a hot bowl of Tempura Udon and a few pieces of sushi, and remembered the last time Jane and I ate there together. It was on a ride with our friend Ching. A much warmer day sometime last summer.

By the time I left Yuzen, it was dark and getting colder. I made it home half-frozen, but feeling great after a wonderful ride. Today, I purchased a fleece jacket with a hood to wear under my leathers, and I took it for a test ride this afternoon. It worked just great.

Stopped at the Harley dealer in Albany, and checked out a 110 cubic inch, blue soft tail with a springer. Needless to say, the price tag was about $29,000 (yes, that's Twenty-nine thousand) dollars. I could buy two and a half of my bikes for that price. Oh, the bike was real pretty, but out of my league. I suspect it doesn't run any better than mine does either.

I'm still working at the Corvallis Clinic Surgery Center, and enjoying it. I assisted in 45+ endoscopy procedures this past week, so it was busy there. I am still trying to decide if I will go back to nursing school in January or not. I could use your prayers about that.

The kids are doing well, Amy is in high school, DJ is working at Safeway pumping gas, and Matt has three (count them) three jobs. We all come and go alot here, so tonight we're going to have dinner out somewhere. So, I gotta run. I'll try to post more often.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger rosepua said...

I know what that contraption is.. Glad you wrote, doug. Glad I wasn't with you on that cold ride! yikes. You crazy! Love, MA

October 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear what you're up to,Doug.

Karen B.

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing life in the Easton household. I will pray for discernment as you contemplate whether school in January is where your body, soul and mind should be. You will KNOW!
Hugs to you all, ja

October 13, 2008 at 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see your still riding in this cool weather. Take care of Doug. dixie.

October 14, 2008 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dough! I'm sure you’ve heard this question a thousand times and more regarding your meeting with Donald Malarkey, but I'll give it a go anyway...

I'm looking for a special gift for my forteen year old brother. This June he's having his christian confirmation. Which is quite an important day in a young mans life.

He's a huge fan of Band of brothers and really intressed in the history of the 101st airborne.

After several attemps on looking up Donald Malarkeys adress I finally found you, who actually met him!

Is there any way you could help me with this? I would really like to send him a letter and perhaps ask if he would be so kind as to sign a picture or something for my brother. It would really make his day!

Thank you! Sorry to bother you with this.

Simen.

October 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home