Monday, June 30, 2008

Goodbye to the Old, Hello to the New

This past Friday and Saturday, I said goodbye to two very good friends.

I sold both my motorcycle and Jane's in just two days. On Wednesday, I posted them both on CraigsList, and by 6pm that night, I already had several calls of interest. I had to skip showing the bikes on Thursday, due to Jane's burial service, but I had 5 look-sees scheduled on Friday.

The first lookers at Jane's bike on Friday morning bought her bike. I was really pleased to sell her bike to them because I knew [it] was going to a good home. It turns out that the father of the girl who bought the bike is an associate editor at the Albany Democrat Herald newspaper. He writes an online blog, and graciously mentioned Jane in an article. (Scroll to "Off and Rolling")

On Friday afternoon, I met with the buyer of my bike, we went to his credit union, signed the papers, got my check and I rode him back to his home and said goodbye to the 1100 Shadow Sabre. Selling the bikes represented something of a loss again for me; but also a new beginning. Jane and I had so many great times riding together on those two bikes.

It felt like the timing was right, and I was ready to move on to that point. As a means of soothing the pain of parting with those two memories, I decided to create some new [ones]. Fred's Honda shop here in town had a new, 2006 model year 1800 VTX-R. With the huge discount on the older model VTX, and the money I got for the two bikes, it was a no-brainer. (I know, many of you think I have no brains just for riding a motorcycle in the first place).

Anyway, I'd like you to meet my new-found buddy:

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel G. said...

Doug, very pretty. OK to call a bike pretty?
No comment about the bike riding and no brains.
teehee

June 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,
SWEET! Jane would be happy to see you riding it.

Marcia

June 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Jack G. said...

Doug, Add a side car and take me for a ride. Just don't tell Mel :)

June 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
I hope you have many happy times with your motorcycle. Love and Prayers, Regina

July 1, 2008 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger rosepua said...

When's our next ride? :) Love, MA

July 2, 2008 at 12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get the side car rigged up and Jack has tested it...can I be the second rider?
Very cool!
The short one,
Mary Law
PS, thanks for sharing about the burial service, it sounds like it was very moving.

July 7, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home