Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Home Again

We arrived at Jane's dad's house this afternoon. I was anticipating this with no small amount of anxiety. But first, a short story . . .

My family on my dad's side lives in Wisconsin (mostly) and Minnesota. My grandparents (dad's folks) lived in the same home for the first 40+ years of my life (all my life). I took Jane back there for a visit about 15 years ago when Amy was just an infant.

I remember driving to their town of Footville, Wisconsin (pop: 605), through the country back roads from Janesville (coincidence, eh?). Anyway, as we approached their home, coming down that same old familiar street that had not changed in 40+ years, tears began to run down my face.

(photo is not really their home)

You see, as a kid growing up, my immediate family moved about every 3-4 years, cause dad worked for IBM (aka: I've Been Moved). So my grandparent's house, and my cousin's farm in northern Wisconsin are two places that have never changed. Places that I can still return to, and feel as if I were a little boy again.

Well, today that same feeling came over me when we pulled up in front of Jane's dad's home. In the 22+ years that Jane and I have been together, her dad's home has been the one constant in our lives, in terms of an earthly home.

So, as I pulled up and parked under the Sweet Gum tree, and walked into "grandpa's" home; and saw him sitting in his same-old chair, tears rolled down my cheeks again. I wanted to tell him how sorry I was that I did not bring Jane back to him this time. I felt as if I had failed; not taken good enough care of her to bring her back to him. I know that it's not true; but that's how I felt.

We sat and just looked at each other for a few moments, "That's too bad about Jane" he said. "Yeah, it is." I replied.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Dear Doug,

I too had a level of anxiety when you and dad would meet again. I am sorry for his nonreactive reaction, but that is how he is. Jane and I were raised with a very shut down dad, but we always knew he loved us in spite of his personality. Thank you for bringing the kids (and Jane) home one last time. (Jane I mean). Just know you are always welcome here, always.

Love,

Sue

June 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Roanna said...

My thought have been with you. Roanna

June 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home