Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Six Months Ago

Hello Friends,

Yesterday marked the six-month anniversary of Jane's death. Most of the day I was OK, but by 3:00pm I started thinking about the "Service of Remembrance" that was held at the First Presbyterian Church here in Corvallis.

Every year, the Benton Hospice Service hosts a Service of Remembrance for those who have died during the past year. About 100 people gathered last night to honor and remember loved-ones who passed away.

12 members of the Benton Hospice Service read names from a list, one person for each month of the year. I was surprised at how many people had died; and how many people Benton Hospice Service has served. As I listened to the readings, I began to hear names of people that I knew, or knew of . . . Bruce Alexander . . . Dwight Vance . . . Mark Egan . . . and of course, Jane Easton.

As Jane's name was read, the tears streamed down my face. Elaine, my step mom, placed her hand upon mine and gave it a squeeze. It is also important to mention that a lifelong friend of Jane's drove all the way from Lake Stevens, Washington to attend the event. Afterward, she and I went to dinner and talked about Jane.

I work with a wonderful Doctor at the Corvallis Clinic Surgery Center, and he asked me if it would be OK for him to attend last night's service. I told him that I would be honored. After the service I turned around, and Dr. Chow was standing at the back of the auditorium. It was an honor and a blessing to have him stand by my side.

As many have told me, there will be important milestones in the grieving process, and yesterday was one of those. As the apostle Paul wrote:
"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you," Phil. 1:3

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

Doug,
That is good that so many were with you as you remembered Jane.

I decided to give luminarias a try this year - I'm trying to figure out how to put them up in my yard and use Christmas lights instead of candles. I wanted to use them because of the ACS's use of them during the Relay for Life. I've just now decided that one of them will be dedicated to Jane. I'll post a picture on my blog once I figure out a system.

God bless you and your family this holiday season.

December 3, 2008 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Mel G. said...

Thanks Doug.

December 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home