Friday, April 11, 2008

Another Loss

Our son, Daniel, finally got his driver's license about 2 weeks ago. Hurray! He hasn't been too concerned at all about waiting so long to finally pass the test, and it was really special to have him reach that milestone.

Well, once he was licensed, our insurance increased by over $100 per month, which we cannot afford to pay; besides, he doesn't have a car he can drive anyway. So we called the insurance company to drop him from our policy, and it turns out that in the State of Oregon, a person of Daniel's age who has a driver's license, and access to our vehicles, must be insured or surrender his license.

So today, Daniel drove me and him to the DMV, and surrendered his license. I had to walk outside before I broke down in front of him and everybody else. It felt like another loss in the series of losses in my life. Daniel was not too concerned about it; he can get around to everywhere he goes either walking or riding his bike. But for me, it felt like another failure on my part as a parent.

As I sit here composing this entry, I am beginning to lose my composure. I just hope and pray for one thing in my life to go according to the "norm" or the "plan". Keep me and us in your prayers.

-doug

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. If it is any consolation, my folks made me pay for the extra car insurance. That was one of their lessons. Course this was back in the day...I don't think it was $100.00

April 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
You are a wonderful parent and husband. You are dealing with so much stress, and I want you to know that you and Jane are two of the most bravest people I have eveer known. Do not give yourself a grief complex. Most people in your position do, and you should be giving yourself pats on the back. If there is anything you need, please call me. I put Jane's name in for healing at my church each week, and you both are constantly in my thoughts. I feel lucky to know you both. Love, Regina

April 12, 2008 at 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
OOPS!!! I made a mistake. I meant to say guilt complex not grief. A lot of people put more stress on themselves saying they could have done more, etc. So take the guilt complex and throw it out of the window. Also, I put your name and Jane's name in for healing yesterday at my church. God looks over all of us. Love and Prayers, Regina

April 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug: Left a big message on Jane's blog. What I told her was to put priorities in perspective. Make a list of pros and cons, get the opinion of the MD, and they usually go by percentages, etc. You are all very brave, and are doing everything possible. Whatever you decide go for it. God is always with you, and I will continue to put Jane's name, and also your name in for healing, and strength. Love and Prayers, Regina

April 16, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home