Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Yesterday afternoon Jane had a blood draw to check her renal panel (kidney function). The doctor called back this morning, and said that he was pleasantly surprised that her blood work looked good, and that there is no sign of starvation yet.

The hospice nurses arrived almost at that same time, and had the same news for us. They accessed Jane's port and began the IV infusion, which has been going now for the past 5-1/2 hours. She will be finished with the infusion shortly, and we will flush her port, and leave it accessed until tomorrow, when she'll have another infusion. We'll do this for the next 6 days if all goes well.

Jane is feeling fairly good right now, so that will be a blessing for her sister when she arrives this afternoon; we also have a couple more family members coming later this week and next week. Brent, Shelly, Lily and me visited the hospital today where I work. The nursing staff (my dear friends and colleagues) have been so wonderful to us, and they were all excited to meet my family.

I dropped them back off at the hotel, and came home for a nap. It's about time for us to disconnect Jane's infusion pump for the day, so I'll post later as things go on.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug and Jane: Just repeating from Jane's blog. I am happy that she is feeling better, and I pray that she will be able to enjoy the family. Also I pray for her to be comfortable. Left an envelope with something in it for you two in the mailbox among the ad circulars, so I hope you find it. Did not want to disturb anyone, you had a bad night. Hope things go easier for the both of you. Love and prayers, Regina

April 30, 2008 at 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so relieved to know that Jane is feeling well enough to spend time with her loved ones. Thank you, Doug, for sharing your thoughts so eloquently in this trying time, and for reminding us that there is so much more to this experience than just pain and suffering.

Eric and Lisa

April 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
One of the best things you are doing for yourself is writing down your emotions. Do not keep anything bottled up, do not be stoic. Just cry when you feel like crying, and just write down what you are feeling. These two things act as a release so that you do not get all bottled up. In other words, it is very healthy. I feel for you, I empathize with you since my Father was on Hospice, and I went through some of the experiencess that you are having. Hospice was so good to myself and my Father that I now volunteer for them to pay back for all the good they did me and my Dad. Hospice treats the whole family,and please remember that. Love and Prayers, Regina

May 1, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home