Monday, May 05, 2008

Fabulous Fund-Raiser

Today, there was an incredible outpouring of support for Jane and my family. But first, let's back up and retrace the steps leading up to lunch today . . .

Last night we were watching a movie, and about 9:00pm Jane said, "I'm tired" and I helped her settle in for the night. During those moments, she complained of a pain just inferior to her right clavicle (below the collarbone, for non-A&P types). The pain steadily worsened until it was about a 7 on a scale from 1-10 (not a good place to be). So I called the Hospice nurse, and she advised me what to do. Jane wanted to know what might be going on, and the nurse said, "without looking inside, it's hard to tell." She was not being flippant at all, just reiterating that at this point there will be no more X-rays, no more CT scans, no more blood tests, etc.

Hearing that was a good reminder to both Jane and me that our objective is to manage the symptoms, and keep Jane as comfortable as possible. So after about 2 hours, we had her pain under control, and she was sleeping soundly. Starting last night I have begun to set my alarm for 12:00 midnight to wake up and administer her medication. Then, back to bed and reset the alarm for 4:00am for more medication. That worked very well last night. The next interval was at 8:00am, and we all slept close to that time.

The Hospice nurse and social worker visited today at 11:00am and we had a wonderful chat. Everyone is on the same page, and Jane is at peace with how everyone else is doing. She's a remarkable woman; for most of her anxiety has to do with how me and the kids, and how all of you, yes, how all of you are doing. She is so concerned about everyone else, and wants everyone to know that she's is ok, and at peace with things.

Jane was bummed out that she could not be at Woodstock's today. We were told that both at lunch, and at dinner, the line for ordering pizza was out the door!

My sister Pam (who knows EVERYONE in Corvallis and Albany) told us who was there, and we were overwhelmed with your love! I brought a basketfull of cards home at lunch, and I understand there are more cards from tonight. Jane and I were touched by each card that you wrote. Thank you everyone for demonstrating your love to our family.

We could not do this without each of you.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel G. said...

Just checked in before shutting down for the night. It's good to know how to pray. I have heard wonderful things about today at Woodstocks. That Ching-chia! Night Doug. Praying for you and the kids. Tell Jane good night, and praying for a good night for her too.
Mel

May 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If love, and the love of pizza, could cure cancer, Jane and her blog buds would be up and and dancing. Inside, I know Jane is dancing. -Bob-

May 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug and Jane:
Went to Woodstock's and had a great pizza, filled out a card, and also passed the word around to Hospice about the fundraiser where they should have their lunch. I had to have a filling put in a tooth, and the dentist's office is walking distance to Woodstock's so I passed the word around. I am really happy it was such a success. As I said before you people are wonderful. Give Jane a kiss for me, and give yourself a pat on the back. Love and Prayers Always, Regina

May 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home