Thursday, May 01, 2008

Faith of a Child

These days, I keep my blood pressure cuff and stethoscope on the bed next to Jane for taking her vitals signs several times a day. This evening, our granddaughter Lily came up and sat on the bed at Jane's feet, and put the stethoscope around her neck.

Then Lily looked at grandma and said, "grandma, can I . . . can I . . . can I . . . fix you?" Jane's eyes welled up with tears, as she marveled at the complete childlike faith of this little girl.

Shortly thereafter, I took Brent, Shelly and Lily back to the hotel again, and this time as I started to drive away, it hit me. Soon this week, we'll be saying goodbye to them as they return to Michigan, and Jane will be saying goodbye to them for good.

Just then, that invisible hand reached out and grabbed me by the throat again, trying to keep me from swallowing, squeezing the very water from my eyes. After a little while, the hand releases its grip, and I return to "normal."

So now, we're settled in for the night; hoping and praying that she gets a full night's sleep; resting in the assurance that if a child can have that kind of faith, maybe we can too.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel G. said...

God bless you Doug. Praying like crazy. Mel

May 1, 2008 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
When you write about your emotions, and when you cry, lets off some of the stress that is inside you and it is healthy for you to do this, so do not be stoic, just keep writing, and cry when needed. I put the envelope for you two in the mailbox with the ad circulars, so I hope you received it. It is an advance thing on Woodstocks. I wish you a success on that. Remember that Hospice treats the whole family, and that they are there for you. They were so wonderful for me and my Father, that I became a Hospice volunteer. I wish you and Jane some comfort and peace. Love and prayers, Regina

May 1, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Jack G. said...

God increase my faith to that of Lily's! Thank you Doug for sharing your tender heart and the emotions you experience, both high and low.
Blessings to you and Jane!

May 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home