Friday, May 23, 2008

The Hand Pile Game

Tonight as I was helping Jane get ready for sleep, I placed my hand on top of her right hand. It felt so terribly cold. She said, "Your hand is warm," and took her left hand and placed it on top of my hand, so I placed my other hand on top of hers, making a hand pile.

After a few seconds, Jane pulled her bottom hand out of the pile, and placed it on top of my top hand. I pulled my bottom hand out from the pile and placed it on top of her hand; this quickly developed into a brisk game of "who can keep their hand on top of the pile." I eventually had to concede, since Jane always wins.

Today was our 21st wedding anniversary, and probably the most difficult day that I have spent during the past 17 months.

I picked up a cake that I ordered, and when the girl read the writing on the icing out loud; "Happy 21st Anniversary" she said, "Oh, how nice." I got all choked up at the realization that this will be our final one together.

Later, I went out and bought Jane some knee high stockings because her feet and lower legs are so cold all the time now, even with blankets on them.

A quick story: about 10 years ago, Jane was car pooling with another mom who had three kids going to Zion Lutheran School where our kids went at the time.

One of the kids didn't like to be told to "wear his seatbelt" and other routine disciplinary things; so he began calling Jane "the carpool witch." So today I bought her a pair of stockings today that resemble the ones that the wicked witch wore when she got crushed by Dorothy's house.

Jane really likes them - and You're Little Dog Toto Too!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tarun said...

21 Years wow ...
Great going.
Womans all ways on top man.

Fet good coming here.

May 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
I am so glad you are writing these moments all down. It is good emotionally for you, but also you are writing a love story. Love and Prayers, Regina

May 24, 2008 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home