Sunday, June 01, 2008

How Do I Pray?

I was asked recently by a dear friend, "How do you pray for Jane?"

I am at a loss for words when it comes to prayer these days. Mostly I just pray for peace; for Jane, for me, for our household (family). I was praying as I was lying awake this morning, wondering if God was leaving her here until we fully released her. But then it came to me, and I said, "God, you have loaned Jane to us, and you will take her back in your own good timing, regardless of how tightly we might hold onto her. So I acknowledge that, and again release her to Your care."

It is baffling to the hospice nurses and me regarding how she has survived so long on so little (no food and very little water). If you know much about Jane, you will know that she is slow and deliberate about everything.

It took me 1-1/2 years to get her to walk down the aisle with me. I knew she was the one in the first 3 months, but she needed time, and a demonstration of faithfulness, character, and commitment before she was willing to give herself to me. I could tell you of many other decisions, both large and small, that I learned to wait patiently on Jane to help me make.

I think maybe this is again one of those times. She has a strong heart (physical) and a strong constitution (Spiritual), and she's not going to go easily, even if God is beckoning her. I believe that God has demonstrated through me His patience with Jane. He taught me how to love her slowly, easily, and as best I was able, unconditionally.


He is not going to rush Jane into anything, and I know when the time comes, she will run to His arms willingly, happily, completely.

(Drawing courtesy of a young neighborhood girl)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
I asked the same question about my Father. We usually pray for healing for those who are ill and also need emotional peace. I was told, to say the prayer for healing because I was praying for a peaceful death. So, I did, and my Father, thanks so much to Hospice, and G-d, had a very peaceful death. Love and Prayers, Regina

June 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Jane, We just wanted to let you know we are reading your blogs and praying for all of you. Jane, it was a joy and privilege to lead worship music together when we were in Corvallis. I will always remember your sincere heart and love for Jesus--and all our practices surrounded by rambunctious children! May you experience God's peace and arms of love, Annette and Joel Funk

June 1, 2008 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger MBA said...

Doug,
I am praying for you and your family during this time of surrender and letting go of what you love most. I pray that YOU will continue to know that the FAITHFULNESS, CHARACTER AND COMMITMENT of God to you and your family is forever, pure and true! We are experiencing this daily in the midst of our loss...GOD IS NEAR!
Love,
MBA for THE "A" TEAM!

June 3, 2008 at 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home