Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hold on to the Nights

Tonight is one of those rare occasions when I don't have much to say, except that I am afraid.

This day arrived with sights, and sounds that are uncomfortably familiar to me; indicators of the inevitable. The slow, labored breathing; limp, motionless body; waxen skin; hollow, sunken eyes. Signs that betray our mortality. I fear these signs: not for my beloved wife, but for myself.

Jane will soon be taken from me, and I am afraid of that. It's a strange paradox to be a Christian, and yet fearful of death. But this world, and this life, is all I know. So tonight, once again, I place my hope and trust in God my Savior, and from this I derive my comfort.

My sister Pam sent me the lyrics to a song tonight that I would like to share with you. It's from a song titled, "Hold on to the Nights" by Richard Marx.
Just when I believed I couldn't ever want for more,
This ever changing world pushes me through another door.
I saw you smile and my mind could not erase the beauty of your face,
Just for a while won't you let me shelter you?
I continue to have the privilege, honor and joy, to shelter my love. One more quotation that I think is quite appropriate in my case:
“God made woman beautiful and foolish; beautiful, that man might love her; and foolish, that she might love him” -Source Unknown

Have a good night, everyone.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,

You don't know me, but I have been reading your blog since the Woodstock's benefit. I am praying for you and your family.


Jill

May 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
Just to let you know that what feelings you are having are very normal, so let them flow. By letting your feelings and tears flow, you will find a release that you need. So do not hold back. Love and Prayers, Regina

May 26, 2008 at 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're watching and waiting with you Doug, though we're not there in person. How our hearts ache for you, even with the knowledge of the joy of heaven for Jane.

Paul and Karen

May 26, 2008 at 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,
I'm glad you mentioned this - We've been reading Jane's page and praying, but hadn't read the latest.

I heard a song on the radio this morning on my way up to Portland. It was Steven Curtis Chapman "With hope"
Here's the chorus:

"We can cry with hope
We can say goodbye with hope
'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh no
And we can grieve with hope
'Cause we believe with hope
(There's a place by God's grace)
There's a place where we'll see your face again
We'll see your face again"

I was thinking of Jane and praying for you all as the tears flowed. Know that we love you guys.

Sher

May 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,

I am so very glad that I have gotten to read your's and Jane's Blog. (Blog's?) I know it must be so hard to write this for us and for you too. I am praying for God's love and strength to carry you thru this. Just want you to knos that I have been praying for you all.
Love to Jane for me and to you and the family
Willa Jo Barone

May 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home