Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Imagine My Surprise

My alarm went off at 4am again this morning; time for Jane's medication, and to check in on her. I got her all situated, and comfortable, and went to use the restroom myself.

I was in the bathroom for no more than 2 minutes, and was going back to bed. When I passed by her bedroom door, Jane was sitting upright on the side of her bed! It really surprised me!

I asked her, "where are you going?" and she said, "I don't know."

I said, "Let's lay back down again" and she said, "Ok." I got her back to bed, and brought my pillows into her room and remained there for the rest of the night. Every time she stirred, I looked up to see if she was trying to crawl out of bed again.

We both finally went to sleep about 5:30 or 6:00am, and slept until 8:00. The rest of today was pretty good, even though Jane slept most of the time. Still no pain to speak of, and she retains her (somewhat dry) sense of humor.

Today when I was giving her medication, she asked me, "Am I sick?" and I choked a "Yes."

"Do I have cancer?" I said, "Yes honey, you do." "Oh" she said, and went back to sleep.

I guess she's not really sure anymore what is real and what is part of her dream world. This evening she wanted to know if she had eaten yet. She is resting comfortably now, and is living an example that I hope I can follow someday. To be at peace in the midst of illness.

I love her so . . .

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug:
I am praying for you. This is the hard part. Jane being disorientated can sometimes throw surprises. I just pray for her peace and comfort, and I pray for your strength and faith. Love and Prayers, Regina

May 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home